Berkshire War Memorials

READING - Tilehurst

The eastern part of the ancient Parish of Tilehurst was taken into the Borough in 1911. For the purpose of this survey we split this area into two, the western quarter being referred to as the 'parish' of Tilehurst and comprising the parts of the Borough to the north of Calcot Golf Course and to the west of the line Norcot Road/Church End Lane. The eastern quarter is referred to as 'Prospect'

Memorials identfied are:-

Tilehurst War Memorial (WM5103)
The memorial is located in the centre of Tilehurst Triangle and records both WW1 and WW2 names. An Afghanistan name has recently been added.

Tilehurst Methodist Church (WM5235)
The WW1 Memorial is in the form of a painted tablet on the wall of the church which is located in School Road

St Michael's Church
There are rwo Cobb memorials (WM6102) and WM6029 inside the church and some CWGC burials in the churchyard (WM4009)

St George's Burial Ground (WM4226)
This is the cemetery for St George's Church and is located on the east side of Norcot Road just above its junction with the A329 There are a number of CWGC graves

Back to top »
2011 - © Berkshire Archaeological Society