Berkshire War Memorials

READING - Prospect

The eastern part of the ancient Parish of Tilehurst was taken into the Borough in 1911. For the purposes of this survey we have divided it into two with the eastern half around Prospect Park, bordered on North and east by the railway, on the south by the Bath Road (A4) and on the west by the line Norcot Road, Church End Lane and Honey End Lane.

Memorials noted in this area are located at:-

St George's Church
St George's Church is the Garrison church for Brock Barracks and hosts a large number of memorials

The Church Burial Ground (WM4226) in Tilehurst, hosts eleven CWGC graves and is located on the east side of Norcot Road

All Saints Church (WM5121)
The Church is located on Downshire Square between the Tilehurst and Bath Roads. The WW1 memorial includes 46 mames

St Marks Church (WM5219) The Church is located on Prince of Wales Avenue. The WW1 memorial contains 29 names

The S & E Collier Memorial (WM5057)
The memorial is located on Water Road

Brock Barracks
There are a large number of memorials within Brock Barracks on Oxford Road

Battle Hospital (WM6008)
About all that remains of Battle Hospital on the Oxford Road is the entrance arch. This memorial to Pte A Challis is located on the left wall of the arch as you enter the former site.

Pulsometer Engineering Company
The company was once near Norcot Junction. The WW1 Memorial (WM5218) is now in Reading Museum. It contains 15 names.

Berkshire Printing
Berkshire printing occupied what is now the site of Reading Retail Park near Norcot Junction. A memorial (WM5246) has been noted but its whereabouts is not known

English Martyrs Church
The Church is located at the junction of Tilehurst Road and Liebenrood Road. It has a WW1 Memorial (WM5955)

Back to top »
2011 - © Berkshire Archaeological Society